History and Mission
The Center for the Administration of Justice was established in 1984 as a unit of the College of Health and Urban Affairs (CHUA) at Florida International University. At present, the Center is a unit of FIU's School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA). The mission of the Center is to engage in research, training and public education about the administration of justice locally, nationally, and internationally. With offices in Miami and overseas, CAJ has become a unique resource at the forefront of U.S. criminal justice and international justice sector reform.
CAJ works to:
- Reform justice systems to reduce impunity
- Promote access to justice for women and disadvantaged populations
- Support modernization of court administration
- Provide technical assistance and training to combat corruption
- Strengthen media-justice relations
- Support alternative dispute resolution mechanisms
- Build an understanding of the justice system’s impact on minorities and marginalized groups.